Saturday, December 10, 2011

`Ripped from the Headlines' - "Yuletide Hearts" is another "Men of Allegany County" Winner!,


Love Inspired
On sale date: Nov 1, 2011
Publication date: Dec 1, 2011
Miniseries: Men of Allegany County
Category: Inspirational Romance
Also available on Kindle for $3.82

"Yuletide Hearts" is a heartwarming story of rejection and acceptance. I'd be tempted to say it's also about redemption but these people didn't fall. They were dumped. The heroine, Callie Burdick, was dumped by her ex-husband for not being feminine enough. They were both in the Army together which should have given him some indication that she was not a girly-girl. Callie is a first class roofer!

The hero, Matt Cavanaugh, was dumped by his stepfather while the heroine's son, Jake, was dumped by his father.

How these three wounded but worthy people find their way to happiness as a family provides the heartwarming path to their Christmas renewal.

The backdrop to the story is the national housing crisis. The heroine's father had a successful home construction business for decades but lost everything to the bank when the housing market fell apart. The hero returns home from the Marines to re-establish himself in the construction business. He buys the half-built housing development from the bank and hires the hero's family to help finish the project. The heroine's family needs the money and her father despartely wants to see his dream fulfilled even if it belongs to someone else. There are some very noble Christian characters in this story which enhances the enjoyment and inspirational impact.

"Yuletide Hearts"  is especially enjoyable if you have read the other books in the series. Ruth Logan Herne has a very eclectic style which makes each book a new discovery. "Yuletide Hearts" is the most `normal' of the lot. Maybe the author is mellowing with age. We shall see in the next books. The author is what I call a significant romance writer.

Please Note: I purchased my copy of "Yuletide Hearts" on eHarlequin so that I could get it a month earlier. However, reading on a Kindle is ten times better than my Sony.




3 comments:

  1. Love this cover and this series too, Vince.

    By the way, thanks for stopping by my blog.

    Cheryl

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Cheryl:

    Good to see you posting again. I can't wait for your next book.

    Vince

    ReplyDelete
  3. Vince, thank you for this nice review! And I laughed at your 'normal' line... :) Still grinning, I figured I'd be NICE FOR CHRISTMAS...

    And you're right, I deliberately didn't stick my head out for this book because it was sold as a sweet Christmas tale.

    But aren't these characters nice? Wholesome? But normal?

    I just loved making Jeff squirm over Matt's reappearance in Mended Hearts, and then to bring Matt's story around in Yuletide Hearts. The only thing I would have wished for was more room... I'd have woven a little more of the family intertwining with Matt and Callie's romance, but I tend toward WORDINESS as you know, and I have to hold myself in line.

    But I'm glad you liked it, big guy! AND, I'm touting Meg's Maple Fudge and YOU over at the Yankee-Belle Cafe on Thursday the 15th... Tomorrow as I write this.

    You just made my day when you showed up in Tulsa with that fudge. God bless you and Linda!

    ReplyDelete